Patient Advocates are cancer team members who specialize in helping you negotiate the complicated world of insurance coverage, cost of cancer care, disability coverage, transportation and a host of other issues.
Patient Advocates may assist you with oral medication coverage, IV medication, transportation costs and arrangements, securing insurance coverage for cancer care and counseling for housing or fuel costs while you are receiving treatment.
At Commonwealth Hematology Oncology we provide the services of our Patient Advocates free of charge.
To meet with a Patient Advocate, speak with your health care provider, a receptionist, nursing, or an Office Manager or call directly at 617-770-9150 or 9152.
Referrals will generate at each office when a patient is identified and falls into one of the following categories:
- Medicare, no Secondary
- Patient transitioning to Medicare with secondary insurance
- No Insurance or a loss of insurance coverage
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Mega Life Insurance
- Poor insurance coverage (60/40, 80/20,90/10 plans)
- High co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles
- Unable to pay utilities
- Need help applying for social security
- Loss of employment and insurance
- Medical Security Plan (For patients actively collecting unemployment)
- Other special situations
All information shared with the Patient Advocate is confidential and covered under our HIPAA/Privacy Statement.